Total Raised For St. Jude (Since 2008): $5,110
Total Raised This Year: $2,010


Monday, October 5, 2009

First Long Training Run of 2009

So I woke up on Saturday trying to do my longest run in half a year. I was 100% positive my knee was going to give me pain as it has been bothering me in some form since the Memphis Marathon last December. The longest I have been able to run without pain over the last year had been 8 miles. It has been a frustrating year to say the least however my goal was to get well by the Memphis Marathon this year and that is what has driven me and helped me not to lose hope.

So I started running and instantly I felt the very mild ache in my right knee but after mile one it went away. I kept waiting for it to come back and haunt me especially in the later miles. 12 miles, 1 hour, 53 minutes and 40 seconds later, I had finished with no knee pain. No one was around so I raised my hands pretending to be somewhat awesome. I was so encouraged as this was almost half a marathon with no pain.

What I remembered on Saturday was how much I missed training. There is something about long distance training that is so dreadful and so desiring all at the same time. I remembered how much I missed this process of giving my all for this marathon and the children of St. Jude. I remember running down the streets and wearing my St. Jude singlet and knowing I was not there by accident.

So I am cautiously optimistic that my knee will hold up. The road of training is long. The 4 hour marathon is a blink of an eye. I train for months in order, for one moment, to fulfill my fundraising promise by running and fighting for the children of St. Jude. Those 4 hours and 34 minutes last year including me stopping and grabbing light post to stretch. It included me stopping in a port a potty just to rest and not let others see my pain. However it resulted in me doing something I am not always the best at doing.. being selfless and fighting for something worth fighting for.

Thanks to everyone who has already sponsored me for this cause. I am overwhelmed by the generosity and sacrifice of so many. I am getting ready to go run 5 miles. Apparently for the first time in a long time, my courtship with training has begun. I hope she'll treat me well.


No comments: