Total Raised For St. Jude (Since 2008): $5,110
Total Raised This Year: $2,010


Saturday, October 31, 2009

Joe P. Rally Run


I've been looking forward to this race the first moment it was announced. It was the Joe P. Rally Run in memory of Joseph Peabody who died of cancer last year at 4 years old. You can see my prior post for more details about his story. It is always fun to run for a cause, especially one that seems so personal. The race had a great turnout of about 160 runners which is amazing for an inaugural race. It was windy, cold and wet but it didn't matter to any of us there. Ok that's a lie. The weather did matter to us a lot but it wasn't going to stop us from running for little Joseph.

On a personal level, I have not run a 5k in about 1/2 a year and I was battling a hamstring issue I stupidly picked up earlier this week. As always in 5k's, I went out way too fast. I do this every time. Inevitably I let the adrenaline get the best of me and I run like crazy the first 3/4 mile and then try not to throw up the last 2+ miles. A friend of mine told me he was going to try to run with me for a while if I was going to be running about 7:30 per mile pace. I told him that was my goal. Near the first mile I was around a 6:50 mile pace and my friend was nowhere to be found.

During the run I had to run through many pot holes that I didn't know were pot holes until my foot found them. I kept pushing with all my ability in the cold, wet and windy weather. I believe I was in about 7th place the whole race. I kept looking behind me and no one was near me. I was really excited to be competing in the top 10 (even if a lot of the runners were walking).

I successfully finished the race without throwing up which may have been my greatest accomplishment of this morning. Although the results aren't out yet, I believe I finished in 7th place out of 160 with a 23:09 time (7:25 pace I think). Although I always hate 5k's while I am running in them, this day reminded me how much I enjoy the whole experience. There is something fun about laying on the ground after a finish knowing you gave your all.

This race, I ran for Joe P and his parents. They are truly an inspiration to so many. $23,400 was raised this year in Joseph's honor. This was a remarkable amount... one Joseph truly deserves.

No comments: